About the Artist
“It is art, and art only, that reveals us to ourselves.” -Oscar Wilde
Rebecca Bray has been using art as a medium for self-expression for as long as she can remember. She began her formal art training at the age of 13, enrolling in private art lessons, AP Art Studio, and the California State Summer School for the Arts. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Art Practice and Cognitive Science from U.C. Berkeley and a Master of Science in Occupational Therapy from San Jose State University. She has over 18 years of painting experience and works primarily with oil and acrylic paints.
In addition to being a professional painter, she is a practicing occupational therapist. She is committed to expressing human emotion through art, as well as using art as a tool to improve individuals’ functional abilities and quality of life. She uses both abstract and representational images, and her work is influenced by a wide range of art movements including the Hudson River School, Post-Impressionism, and Abstract Expressionism. Her paintings are a meditation on different concepts and natural scenes using color, contrast, and interconnected layers to express feelings and personal reflection. She is inspired by her interpersonal relationships, travels, and nature.
Her works have been featured in juried art shows and can be found in private collections across the United States, Poland, and Israel. She currently lives and works in Orange County, California.
- 2019, Saddleback Art League, “20th Annual Juried Fine Art Exhibition,” Mission Viejo, CA
- 2019, OC Fair, “Juried Exhibition,” Costa Mesa, CA
- 2011, Worth Ryder Art Gallery, “Senior Art Show,” Berkeley, CA
- 2010, Worth Ryder Art Gallery, “What is Normal?” Berkeley, CA
- 2007, Yolo County Library, “Self-Expression,” Solo Show, Davis, CA
- 2007, Pence Gallery, “Senior Show,” Davis, CA
- 2000-2007, California State Fair, “Juried Exhibition,” Sacramento, CA
Awards and Scholarships:
- 2019: OC Fair, Costa Mesa, CA
- 2007: California State Fair Scholarship, Sacramento, CA
- 2007: Novozymes Art Scholarship, Davis, CA
- 2007: Arlene Crandall Memorial Scholarship, Davis, CA
- 2000-2007: Received 9 First Place Awards, California State Fair, Sacramento, CA
- 2005: California Art Scholar, California State Summer School for the Arts
- Saddleback Art League